Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Once Upon a Time... linkup: Memories


Still plugging along at this!!! It's fun, I must say, even if I am only doing it myself most weeks. The challenge of thinking up an original prompt and then seeing if even I have any snippets to post is so exciting I can't help but feeling like Wednesday is one of my favorite days to blog post.

This week, the prompt is: memories.

Memories are important. They mean something to all of us, good or bad. They shape us, for the better or the worse. But, no matter what, no matter who we are, we have them.

And that includes our characters.

This week I am doing something new. There will be several selections from my dark fantasy, The Last Scribe.

The setting:
A journey through a vast Woodland.
A knight and a girl.
Conversation of home.
 
Word count: 122
Ó Pure Grace


“No, there are no siblings.” I know that was awkward and made no sense. I already said that. But I could think of nothing else to say. I have never had a taste of a sibling relationship. There was no laughing around my table at night. Just glaring and fear. Always fear.
“Ah, yes,” she shrugs and walks on. Silence fills the forest now. I don’t know why, but I think I have killed the conversation, or maybe they are both so wrapped up in their memories they don’t want to talk anymore. I don’t like remembering. I don’t like thinking of the past. I don’t even want to remember. The past hurts.
Memories are only fear coming back to haunt you.


The setting:
The same Woodland.
New plans.

Word count: 175
Ó Pure Grace


The trees are huge pillars in the forest that support a green dome of leaves. Sunlight trickles through in streams, dancing on the forest floor. Kiar leads with a surety of step that eases me. The stress slides away from my shoulders. Maybe I am turning careless, to relax so soon, but I can’t help it. I am pleased with the way things have turned out. Once I get back into Messeran, I will enlist knights to help Mikailah and I will return home. To my own village. Things can go back to the way it was before Zealeth came.
I hope. A picture a Zealeth looms in my mind. It is black and stretched and despairing, broken. Like I failed. I smash it in my mind and stomp on. The memories will never go. I admit it. But they will soon fade. They don’t matter. All that matters is getting home. Why? I ask myself.
I have no answer so I shrug it away. It doesn’t matter why, it just matters that I do.

 
The setting:
The edge of a vast plain.
Fear, choking fear.
Confusion and pain.

Word count: 251
Ó Pure Grace


I shiver when I think of the last time I was in broad daylight in Sargon. I have to tell Kiar and Mikailah that the knights will be looking for me. Even if I am not who they think I am, they are still going to be scouring the countryside for me. Now we have slipped past the Stronghold unnoticed, the Woodland is the safest place for me. But we cannot get into Messeran ~ more importantly, to the tents of Rowan ~ without walking out of its protecting comfort and into the world. I dread that moment. More than anything else.
Mikailah kicks a lump of dirt out of her path and it bounces away. “Tell me more of your mother, Breem.”
Well, almost anything else.
I don’t know what to tell. There is not much I remember. The little I do is in a foggy blur, snippets of memories, half stories I was told by Aunt Deara, half things I recall from my childhood. There is one thing I remember about her. She was always soft. Soft-spoken, soft feeling, soft-hearted. I don’t understand how she could be. It is a hard world, and our village is the hardest one in it. But how can I describe that? How can I tell them she was the most important thing to me before she died? How can I say that I broke when I was left alone? Can I express the pain inside me, even now, when I think about it?


Join the Once Upon a Time... linkup:

Post a selection from your current WIP no larger than 500 words to your blog.

If there is a prompt, make sure your section fits the requirements.

Add the Once Upon a Time... linkup button:



 
 
 
Connect your link using the linkup button on Wednesdays (they will always be held on Wednesdays)!

And voila, you are done! Don't forget to visit the other blogs and drop a line.

8 comments:

  1. Eeeeee, what a nice idea! I'm afraid I can't really join in now, with NaNo et al, but give me a pester come December and methinks I'll give it a try some weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about it! NaNo is a HUGE commitment! (You have my jealous sympathy...*_*) I'll be looking forward to December then!!! That will be so super exciting!! :D

      Delete
  2. Oh! I plan on doing this one! Mine will probably be up tomorrow though. :) I like the word *memories* for some reason. It's just so full...of...promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok! When I see you've got it up, I will go in and change the link times so you can linkup. :D Hurray!!! Can't wait to read you snippets!

      Delete
    2. Oh thanks! I didn't realize it closed so early!! Well, I have it all scheduled and ready to go for tomorrow!

      And I forgot to say earlier...I LOVED your snippets. They were super tantalizing. :D More? I like wednesdays at your blog.

      Delete
  3. Okay, first off, I loved those snippets! They were really quite good. :)

    Secondly, regarding that NaNo guest post you asked me to do. I would love to... BUT. I just don't think I'll be able to get to it this month. My life suddenly got crazy busy and it's been some serious work for me to post on my own blog. I wish I could--but I can't... Perhaps another time?? :)
    I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I was toying with the idea for longer than I should have. I hope everything goes well in any case.

    God bless xx
    Treskie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks!!!

      Alright, that sounds fine! I'll get it covered for this month! Looking foward to something in December then!!!
      No problem!!! Thanks for even thinking about it!

      You too!!! :D

      Delete
    2. Coolio then. :) December means CHRISTMAS! And therefore I am jubilant.

      Delete